The Ben Uri Gallery and Art Museum is a charity. We make no money from the collection or the work we do including the range of learning, art and well being programmes which extend the reach of our work.
We’re relying on your generous support to continue our work. Our mission is to secure a central London gallery so we can display a world-class collection and share our work even further. Find out more in our blog ‘Shaping the Future from the Past’.
Find out how you can contribute and get involved.
Our value commitment to our donors and supporters
For years many people have asked, and continue to ask, how we present such a full and diverse programme of exhibitions, events, learning and wellbeing programmes and publish hard back scholarly publications on our slender budget.
The answer is three seamless parts of the whole:
- The commercial culture at Ben Uri is ingrained – spend BU money as if it were our own – coming from our hard-earned taxed savings.
- Efficiency: establish control, best practices and cost/service reference systems as good as in any buying department in any UK company.
- Spirit and commitment of the team: so much volunteer time - emails fly through the ether from 8 am until midnight 6 days a week more regularly than not.
Facts – Please compare with other museums and charities:
- Total spend year to 31 March 2013 ex acquisitions: £322,600
- HR: 2013 costs: £100,500 -24% of the total spends.
- Admin and Gallery management: 1.75 Full time equivalent.
- Learning, Outreach and Wellbeing: 1.75 Full time equivalent.
- Curatorial and Collection management: 2 Full time equivalent.
- Web and Social Media: 0.5 Full time equivalent.
- Finance, Friends, others: 0.5 Full time equivalent.
- Chief Executive and Board: All Pro Bono
What did we deliver for this money?
- 8 exhibitions: 6 at Ben Uri plus 1 in Florida and 1 in Manchester.
- 5 major catalogues – 2 distributed world-wide.
- 72 learning events at schools connecting with over 6,000 pupils.
- Refinement of Ben Uri’s Wellbeing programme for the elderly and those living with dementia and their carers.
- Total cost of programming including HR: £316,000 – 75% of the total spends.
- We minimise transport costs through flexible long term planning within consolidated deliveries.
- We print our catalogues through the top Italian and British printers to a rigorous and finely planned specification that maximise the important and eliminates the non-essential.
- We advertise selectively where it has proven results in driving traffic and awareness at highly competitive rates.
- Be assured you can compare and benchmark our costs against any other museum or charity in the country – we know you can because we do regularly!
Why Ben Uri needs your donation
We do not have a gallery that allows the display of our entire collection, so it is, sadly, locked away in secure storage. A donation from you, large or small, would make a big difference to us because it would bring us closer to realising our ambition to show the world - for the first time - the whole Ben Uri Collection.
Ben Uri does not reveal your personal information without your permission or unless required by law. Find out more in our Privacy and cookies policy.