Medium: Pastel and coloured pencil on paper
Dimensions: 65 x 47 cm
Anna Ticho was born in Moravia (now the Czech Republic). She moved with her family to Vienna at the age 10 and at 15 she began to study drawing. In 1912, aged 18, she immigrated to Israel with her cousin, ophthalmologist Avraham Albert Ticho, whom she later married. They settled in Jerusalem where Anna worked in her husband’s eye clinic. The couple purchased a large house surrounded by gardens where they hosted writers, artists, academics and intellectuals. In the 1930s, Anna began to draw and paint, focusing on the hills and people of Jerusalem. As Shulamit Reinharz writes in ‘A Survey of the First Century of Jewish Women Artists: The Impact of Four Upheavals’, “Many viewers have found an almost erotic connection to the land in her drawings’. Anna was awarded the Israel Prize, the State of Israel’s highest honour in 1980. She left her home (Ticho House), works and art collection to the city of Jerusalem, which incorporated the gift into the Israel Museum.
Born: 1894 Brno, Moravia (Czech Republic)
Died: 1980 Jerusalem, Israel